OneNote: We need the password to sync this notebook (Error code: 0xE4010643)

It happen to me once and it happen to me twice, and it happen again this morning.

When I saw this message, I knew no mater how many times I hit the "Sync All" it will never goes through (but I did it anyway).

I found these happen to me if I leave OneNote open, and put the computer to hibernate / sleep mode. Somehow when the computer awake from sleep, OneNote will failed to sync due to the credentials is out of sync. 

To avoid this I always close OneNote before putting the computer to sleep and often I simple shutdown the computer.

The fix to this is simply delete the cached credential used by OneNote to connect to server for synchronization, and re-login.


To do this, follow the following steps (Make sure you close OneNote before you proceed):
  1. Go to "Control Panel" > "User Accounts and Family Safety"
  2. Click "Credential Manager"
  3. Click "Manage Windows Credentials"
  4. Look for "MicrosoftOffice15_Data:live:cid=xxxxxxxxx"
  5. Expand the row and click "Remove" and click "Yes" when prompt to confirm.
  6. Don't start OneNote first, but instead, sign-out from Windows and sign-in again.
  7. Start OneNote and key in the credential when prompt. (sometime it doesn't prompt but it fixes the problem)
Update if removing item in step #4 doesn't work. Try removing the following
  • "MicrosoftAccount" - the credential you use to login to Windows
  • "OneDrive Cached Credential" 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Generating INSERT statement from SELECT using SQuirreL SQL

Fixing the AKE BC398 USB3.0 sluggish performance